Most top search engines now offer “local listings” in their search results. The local listings act in a manner similar to an online Yellow Pages for people searching for a product or service in a particular area. To see the results of a search, go to a top search engine and type in your business type and the city your business is located. For example, a search of “cameras, Santa Monica, CA” on http://local.google.com produced the results here.
The great thing about a local listing, is they are free, people can review your business, and it will help connect you with people in your area. We would highly recommend having your business listed in the following search engines local listings since it is FREE:
- Search Site: http://local.google.com
- Submission Page: http://www.google.com/local/add?hl=en&gl=us
- Just sign in with a Google account and follow the instructions. At the time of this writing, Google’s automated system will call your business phone number and you will enter a code to confirm you are a valid business.
- Search Site: http://local.yahoo.com/
- Submission Page: http://listings.local.yahoo.com/csubmit/index.php
- Sign in with a Yahoo account and follow the registration instructions. Yahoo will review the listing and approve it within a few days.
Microsoft Live Search Maps
- Search Site: http://maps.live.com
- Submission Page: https://ssl.search.live.com/listings/ListingCenter.aspx
- Sign in using your Microsoft Live account and filled out the questions. Microsoft will then send you a letter with verification instructions in it.
Once your business has been accepted and listed, invite friends, colleagues, and clients to write positive reviews and testimonials about your business.
Submit your website and/or RSS feed to some top search engines:
- Google – Free Submission: http://www.google.com/addurl
- Yahoo – Free for Non-Priority Submission: https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
- Bing / Microsoft Live – Free Submission: http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
- Ask – Free Submission: Use the sitemap submission interface
- Open Directory Project – Free Submission and often spidered by other engines: http://www.dmoz.org/add.html
You can also add your sitemaps and/or feeds here:
- Google – Webmaster Tools for Sitemaps: https://www.google.com/webmasters/
- Yahoo – Feeds and Sitemaps via the Feeds Button: https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com
- Bing / Microsoft Live – http://webmaster.live.com/webmaster/ping.aspx?siteMap=http://yourdomain.com/yoursitemap.xml. For example, http://webmaster.live.com/webmaster/ping.aspx?siteMap=http://www.grantburton.com/sitemap.xml. Check the crawl status through the Bing / Microsoft Live Webmaster Site: http://www.bing.com/webmaster .
- MoreOver: http://api.moreover.com/ping?u=http://yourdomain.com/yoursitemap.xml. Make sure to change the URL to match your site, for example http://api.moreover.com/ping?u=http://www.grantburton.com/sitemap.xml.
- ASK – Sitemaps: http://submissions.ask.com/ping?sitemap=http%3A//www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml. Make sure to change the URL to match your site, for example http://submissions.ask.com/ping?sitemap=http%3A//www.grantburton.com/sitemap.xml.
We will try to update this page whenever possible, but additions are greatly welcome!